- When a new email account is created under “User Administration”, a physical email space in the server is allocated for that email account which store all incoming emails that are address to that email address.
- Users will be given their email password so that they can check their emails in the email server from Webmail or they can download their emails from the email server to their Email Clients in their own PCs.
- You can create new email account by using the Administrator account to login into Webmail. Once login, click on the pull-down menu on the right and select “User Administration”.
- If a user who has an email account, ‘A’, wish to forward whatever emails that he will receive to another email account ‘B’, he can do so by setting the Mail Forwarding Info in Webmail.
- User can enter the e-mail address, ‘B’, that he wish to forward to, in the Forward text box. However, please note that after he set the forwarding email account, ‘B’, all emails that is sent to his email account, ‘A’, will be forwarded to the email account ‘B’. There will be no more copy of the email in email account ‘A’.
- If the user who has an email account, ‘A’, wish to forward whatever emails that he will receive to another email account ‘B’, and at the same time retained a copy in his own email accoint ‘A’, he can do so by preceding the address with a period and comma (.,) using the format: .,userid@<email.address>
- If the user wants to forward his emails to multiple users, he can do so by separating the email address with a comma (,).
- For example, to forward all emails to multiple users and at the same time retain a copy of the emails at his own email account, the format will be e.g. “.,firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org”
- In short, Forwarding means directing the emails from a email account to some other email accounts.
- Alias account is an account that does not take up any physical email space in the server.
- Alias account is merely a virtual email address, that forwards whatever emails addressed to this account, to one or more email account.
- You cannot check / download email using alias account, because alias account is virtual and does not take up an email space. It merely do forwarding.
- For example, you have a HR department with 2 staffs having email account ‘email@example.com’ and ‘firstname.lastname@example.org’. You want to have people / clients sending email address to ‘email@example.com’ with regards to HR issues and that the 2 HR staffs can receive the emails. It will be redundant to create an email account ‘firstname.lastname@example.org’ because nobody will be checking emails from this email account, instead this email will be check by mary and jane. Also, it won’t be nice if you tell people to email HR issues to ‘email@example.com’ or ‘firstname.lastname@example.org’. So you can actually create an alias account, which is just a virtual email address, and this alias will just forward all the mails to mary and jane.
For a clearer picture,
- You can create alias account by logging into Webmail using Administrator account. Once login, click on the pull-down menu on the right and select “Alias Administration”. From there, you can create any alias account.
- Alias account can support 2-letter userid unlike email account which can only support 3 or more letter userid. In other word, you cannot create an email account call ‘email@example.com’ because the userid is 2-letter only.